Reflections on Digital Tools in Education

This class has been very different from any of the others I have taken.  By establishing habits of using Twitter, writing blog entries and visiting Second Life, I have learned about the value of these tools.  In particular, I did not see much value in Twitter at all before this class.  Forcing myself to use it has enlightened me as to the utility of Twitter.  I had never kept a blog before this class.  For me, the jury is still out on my own blogging.  I’m not sure if I have much to say that other folks are interested in.  In the college environment, it is wonderful to have open access to all the tools – the sky is the limit!

However, there is a long way to go in many K-12 schools to enable teachers to learn about these tools and utilize them with students.  That is where the disconnect is – and where there is an incredible amount of inequity between schools.  The ongoing battle between control and access does not appear to be going away anytime soon.  There is much disparity in the types and amounts of access that students have in different schools.  Is access to the internet and its tools a right?  If student attend schools with overly restrictive internet policies, are they getting an inferior education?

One Comment

1. Pingback: Top 100 technology blogs for teachers