Navigating Mendeley Desktop

1.  What have I learned today?

As I am going through literature and taking notes, the most efficient way to do this seems to be:

• Import .pdf of article into Mendeley desktop, by dragging and dropping the article icon onto Mendeley desktop.
  • Verify bibliographic metadata.  If it does not autofill, type in article title and Mendeley syncs with Google Scholar to fill in remainder of information.  In some cases, you might have to enter it manually.
  • After previewing article and deciding if I will use it, use CTRL-C and CTRL-V to copy and paste the APA citation into my draft bibliography section.
  • Create a Google Doc to take notes on the article.  Use CTRL-V to paste the bibliographic information at the header.  Use the “select” feature of Mendeley to copy quotes, or use screen shots to copy tables/figures.
  • Use Google Docs to create tables, graphic organizers and the like to organize ideas.
  • “Snowball” type research on references cited in the article you are reading can be easily found by using the “select” feature to copy the article title.  Then open Google Scholar and paste the article title into the search window.  Use the provided hyperlinks to find the article at W&M.  Very quick and efficient!  For this to work you must set up your Google Scholar Profile to include the library at William and Mary.  You can also use Google Scholar to do key word searches or author searches.

2. How did I learn it?

Trial and error.  First I tried the notetaking box provided within the Mendeley software.  I found it a bit too limiting.  I wanted to be able to draw graphic organizers and this is easier to do in Google Docs.

3.  How might I learn it differently, maybe even better, in the future?

Find out from someone who has done it before instead of banging around by myself.

4.  How might I help someone else build on my learning?

Post some thoughts on the SOE technology Wiki about how I am using this, or on this blog.